My initial authentication relied on a simple library called passport.js, which was asking Google about Id representing a user. This was sufficient to keep maps separated. But more advanced scenarios were unlikely to be easy to implement. Questions I was constantly asking myself were f.e.:
- how to solve map sharing and inviting others to discuss the map? Google ID is not sufficient to do that.
- how to inform users about planned outages?
- how to inform users about UI changes to avoid confusion?
- Stormpath - created on March, 2012. $9.7M funding
- Auth0 - created on September, 2014. $2.4M funding.
Stormpath turned out to be much more developer friendly and mature, and had a very reasonable free quota in addition, so here we are - the mapping tool uses Stormpath now.
Mapping is great. Without it, I would not even thought about looking for those providers without being aware of their existence!
Have you tried to look for services that should be already commoditized? What results did you get?